J. I. Packer and Puritansim
I have been reading through J. I. Packer’s A Quest for Godliness: A Puritan Vision of the Christian Life. It has been a great read and I highly recommend it so far, especially to anyone who is at all interested in Puritans. It has been wonderful to read the chapter in which Packer explains why we need the Puritans. I wanted to list those reasons out:
- There are lessons for us us in the integration of their daily lives (their Christianity was all-embracing).
- There are lessons for us in the quality of their spiritual experience.
- There are lessons for us in their passion for effective action.
- There are lessons for us in their programs for family stability.
- There are lessons for us in their sense of human worth.
Packer answers the question: What could these zealots give us that we need? “The answer, in one word, is maturity.”